Written By Empress Of Pearl Powder
Sarah Anderson January 5, 2024
Tips To Prevent Falls
Did you know that one in four adults over 65 encounter a fall each year? While not every fall results in injury, many do, leaving people with fractured hips, broken bones and concussions. Fortunately, there are preventative measures you can take to lower the risk of slips and falls as you age. Cast out your fear of slipping or falling and improve your strength, balance and mobility with these fall prevention strategies.
Strength and Balance Exercises
As much as we hate to admit it, our strength and balance often deteriorate as we age. But it doesnât have to be that way! By implementing simple strength and balance exercises into your daily routine, youâll be able to take on the day without the worry of a slip or fall. Here are a few great exercises to improve your balance, strength and mobility:
• Single Leg Stand
◦ With a chair beside you, stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
◦ Stand tall and keep one hand on the chair.
◦ Lift one foot off the ground (about 6-12 inches above the ground).
◦ Hold this position for 30 seconds and repeat on the other leg.
◦ Repeat 2-4 times.
◦ Start in a seated position with the knees stacked over the feet at a 90-degree angle.
◦ If necessary, have a wall or sturdy piece of furniture nearby for stability.
◦ Pushing through your heels, stand straight up.
◦ Returning to the starting position, sit back down in the chair.
◦ Repeat 10 times.
◦ Stand with your back straight, feet about hip width apart, and with your hands on your hip.
◦ Step your right foot forward, bending at the knee.
◦ Slowly bend the knee of the back of the leg toward the ground.
◦ Breathe, hold for 30 seconds, and slowly return to the starting position.
◦ Repeat for the left leg.
◦ Do 5-10 times on each leg.
Fuel Your Body
The simplest way to keep our bodies happy and healthy is by fueling ourselves with all the necessary vitamins and nutrients. Osteoporosis grows more common as we age, making it more critical than ever to take care of our bones. Adding more calcium to your diet is a great way to limit the effects of osteoporosis, and there are plenty of food sources to supply you with a sufficient amount of calcium. Try adding these calcium-rich foods to your diet:
You can also Fuel up with pearl powder. It's loaded with vitamins and minerals and is the richest source of calcium on the planet. Just add 1/4 tsp to juice, smoothies, iced tea, milk, water, etc. once a day.
Our bodies are like machines. Without proper care, they can't work as well as they're designed to. Seeking regular chiropractic care is a great way to keep our spines in the best shape possible. And when our spines are aligned, our bodies can work at their best - much like a well-oiled machine.
Despite the millions of falls seniors sustain each year, slips and falls are not a normal part of aging, and you don't have to be a statistic! Using these few key fall prevention strategies, you can age gracefully, combating the fear and likelihood of sustaining a slip or fall.
Want to Get Ahead of Aches and Pains?
Maintaining a regular stretching routine is a great first step to achieving whole-body wellness.
Take the first step to achieve whole-body wellness with an everyday stretching routine to keep your muscles and joints happy and healthy.